Wireless network (WEP security)

Tom Tom-QXpTDD2AffPSUeElwK9/Pw at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 30 19:23:28 UTC 2003

WEP is only useful for preventing casual access to your network.  It's not
real security.

The solution is the 802.1x protocol, but this is not finalized, so there is
an interim standard called WPA.  These protocols will eventually use the AES
algorithm, but it is too computational expensive at the moment.  You can
only use it if the algorithm is built into the firmware.  As another interim
solution people are using the TKIP algorithm, which is similar to WEP.

Now, with that many 'interims' and an algorithm similar to WEP you might
think that WPA with TKIP is no good, but that is not the case.  It is vastly
better than WEP and it provides true security at this time.

This solution can be implemented independently of the driver.  You could buy
any wireless adapter, using any of the 802.11 standards and then get
software that implements WPA.  But it's not totallly independent - you need
to make sure that the WPA software you get is compatible with the
chipset/driver you are using.

The hard part is going to be finding a WPA solution for Linux.

One other thing.  If you want to use Linux as your AP you need an
'authenticator' and if you want to use it as a client then you need a
'supplicant'.  Unless you are in a corporate environment you will want to
use WPA in 'pre-shared key' mode.

Or, you could implement security at a higher level in your network.

Tom.

"Gardner Bell" <gbell72-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote in
message
news:Pine.LNX.4.58.0309301317500.1427-bi+AKbBUZKarHMlHb5NnZytyHCCPSaTIbJEeYj9oJeCmdvSpIQae8A at public.gmane.org