Wireless network (WEP security)

Jason Shein jshein-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 30 19:06:44 UTC 2003

I use IPCop 1.3.0 and connect the access point with WEP on 128 bit
though the DMZ ( Orange ) interface.

Works great, some limitations due to firewalling rules, but this can be
custon tailored to your application.

It doesn't take long to crack wep anymore, so any extra precautions are
a must.

On Tue, 2003-09-30 at 14:30, WK wrote:
> Gardner Bell wrote:

> > What measures have others here taken to secure their wireless networks if any of
> > you have them and what specific hardware would you recommend?  Any other info
> > that you could provide would be greatly beneficial.
> >

> I have a SMC wireless router which I use it as access point.
>
> - I enabled the 128bit wep and filter client by MAC.
> - At my linux firewall, I blocks any unknown internal addresses
> - At my linux firewall, I blocks all outgoing traffic to the internal
> network as well as internet except DHCP and PPTP (vpn).
>
> In order to connect a wireless client to my network, the following are
> needed:
>
> - Add a reserve host to dhcp server
> - Unblock the reserve host ip at the firewall
> - Create an account on the the pptp server
>
> I'm not sure what else I can do since this is only a home network anyway.

" Eventually people tire of repairing broken Windows,
        And decide to replace them with something stronger"
   (o_
   //\        Linux - The Choice Of A GNU Generation
   V_/_
                                  Jason Shein
                         Linux Registered User #281100
                              jshein-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org