Asus A7N8X vs. Abit NF7-S Motherboard

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 30 18:39:27 UTC 2003

On Tue, Sep 30, 2003 at 01:39:06PM -0400, Kareem Shehata wrote:
> Does anyone have experience or comments with these motherboards?  I'd like
> to finally set up my media centre PC, and I'm thinking of using one of
> these since they offer built-in S/PDIF.  They both use the nForce2
> chipset, and I think they both have the RealTek ALC650 audio chipset.  Has
> anyone managed to get audio working on one of these?  All comments are
> appreciated.
> Thanks in advance,

Make sure you check out before hand, if they can encode the stuff your
PC plays as AC3 on the spdif, or if they send seperate channels (which
is accepted by digital computer speakers but often not home theater
receivers).  Passing the dvd sound directly is not a problem, just the
sound created by the machine (just in case you were hoping for soround
sound from quake/doom/unreal).  I believe the nvidia sound system can,
although I have no idea why there is even a need for other chips when
using the nvidia sound.  I personally much prefer Asus over Abit, having
never had a problem with Asus myself, but have had a few problems with
some Abit boards.

Lennart Sorensen