Instant messaging --> now what?

Charly Baker cmb-h7HJ8Pof2EbbR28j2ZUwYgC/G2K4zDHf at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 30 15:45:05 UTC 2003

On Tuesday 30 September 2003 11:09 am, Martin C wrote:
> Hi
>
> Yahoo has tried to block third party software from
> connecting to his network (although Gaim seems to have
> success connecting with the new protocol in the last
> version).
> M$N is going to close third party software too on
> October 15th.
> The question is: what shall we use for IM? ICQ is an
> option, LICQ is pretty nice... Jabber? People is used
> to use smilies, Jabber has them?

That is probably dependent on the client that you use.  There certainly are
smilies available using Gaim and jabber, if you must use them.

I can personally recommend jabber, which I turned to because I DIDN'T want to
use someone else's server.  Setting up your own jabber server is not very
difficult.

CB