.sxw files now .zip

Daniel Armstrong offshoredan-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 30 15:57:58 UTC 2003

-- Martin C <forolinux-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > What do I need to fix so that .sxw file's icons
> > identify as OpenOffice files, and open the correct
> > corresponding application (as they did
> previously)?
> > search through Google Groups identified a similar
> > problem last year with .sxw files under Gnome,
> with
> > no
> > solution at the time of posting.
>
> Hi
> You can edit the preferred application to open it,
> right-clicking on the .sxw file. In the menu, there
> are two tabs, I bet 'use embebbed app' is marked.
> Try
> to uncheck that...
> See if OpenOffice is at the top of the list of
> applications that can deal with .sxw too.

Hi Martin... My problem is that these .sxw files are
identified as zip archives. When I right-click on the
icon to edit file type, the file is identified as a
zip file (with prefix '.zip', even though the file
itself is prefixed '.sxw').

'Embedded App' is not selected.

I even tried modifying file treatment so that the
default application for opening zip files would be
OpenOffice Writer 1.1, but a left-click on the .sxw
icon still only breaks down the file into its xml
components. Only by manually opening the file does it
display properly in OpenOffice.

My question is... How do I restore KDE settings to see
.sxw as OpenOffice files?

Thanks... Daniel