Debian modules question

Robert Brockway robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org
Sun Sep 28 23:56:06 UTC 2003

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003, Gilles Fourchet wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am using Debian as well.  I definitely recommend a network install.
> Go on the Debian web site and download the boot floppy disks.  Once
> booted, you continue the installation on the net.  If you want a CD
> install, as far as I know, the only available kernel is 2.x.  That means

I guess you mean 2.2.x here.  You can install a 2.4 kernel instead of a
2.2 kernel in Debian woody by selecting the bf2.4 image at install time.
Imho this should have been made the default but it wasn't.

There are also good "non-standard" boot CDs and boot mini-CDs available.
I usually use the 185MB mini-CD or a the 35MB XFS mini-CD available via
links from www.debian.org.

> that, if you want to use iptables (which I recommend), you will have to
> download the 2.4 image and compile it. If you choose to do so, put as

I recommend a user doing this anyway when they get more experienced, but
as noted above it isn't necessary to get Debian going with 2.4.

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc. email: robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org, zzbrock at uqconnect.net