Debian modules question

waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Sun Sep 28 14:32:23 UTC 2003

  I'm about to seriously try Debian on my second PC.  I got to the
installation phase where a whole slew of modules is available for
compiling into the kernel.  Is it really necessary, or can most modules
be loaded at boot time?  I'm referring to stuff like network card,
netfilter/iptables, sound, etc.  Iptables has a huge submenu, with stuff
that should obviously be included (e.g. LOG, REJECT, etc.).  As long as
there's no significant negative, I'd prefer module-loading versus
building stuff into the kernel.  This implies a somewhat longer
/etc/modules.conf file, plus I'd need some help figuring out the
modules.conf file first time.

  If this works, what is the minimal additional stuff I need to build
into the kernel?  I'm starting the install from CD 5 to get ReiserFS.

Email users are divided into two classes;
1) Those who have effective spam-blocking
2) Those who wish they did