Balsa

JoeHill joehill-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Sat Sep 27 17:06:10 UTC 2003

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 08:58:36 -0400
Austin <aacton-B71PBEe7S7Y at public.gmane.org> uttered:

> They release every six months.  Period.  Mind you, this release will
> be  delayed a bit becuause (for the first time) the ISO's will no be
> published  until the boxed sets are for sale, and the club members
> have had a chance to  download early.  This was a bit of a sensitive
> issue for us, but I think we  decided it was for the best interests of
> survival for the company.

Ya, I saw that on the Mandrake lists. I agree with that decision 100%,
it does not go against the Free Software philosophy, it's just giving an
advantage to those that contribute in a substantial way, whether
monetarily or development-wise. I'm in no huge rush anyway, and I hope
to have two dimes to rub together in the near future to get a Club
membership, not for the extra benefits, just for the fact they've given
me a free OS the last 2 years, and a great one at that!

> > What *would* be the correct "export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=" to use for
> > Mandrake anyway? Just so I don't have to bug you every time I want
> > to upgrade or if I want to compile CVS (loooooooove CVS'ing!).
>
> You shouln't need to export anything.  pkgconfig come well setup.  I
> just  compiled balsa cvs yesterday with:
> autoconf
> ./configure --prefix=/usr
> make

ah, see I didn't do autoconf, just ./configure. Perhaps that was the
problem, I'll give it another shot just to see...

> No errors at all.
> Now you may have problems if you've built the libraries from source
> and not  installed the .pc files to /usr/lib/pkgconfig... which is our
> default  PKG_CONFIG_PATH.

Install GTK+ libs from source?! Ay Caramba, I'm still a newb, I wouldn't
dare! ;-) it's urpmi for me all the way when it comes to stuff like
that.

> I have rebuild the latest balsa for Mandarake 9.1, and it's available
> at: http://groundstate.ca/balsa-2.0.14-3mdk.i586.rpm

Cool! Thanks very much, I'm gonna try it out today a bit, really test it
out Monday when I have more time to myself. The great thing is I can log
in as a different test user account on tty2 or whatever and try out all
kinds of wondrous software, window managers, what have you. I just can't
get over how much I love this OS.

Thanks again and all the best!

--
JoeHill