Looking for computer Co-op placement (warning this is a job seaker posting)

cbbrowne-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org cbbrowne-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org
Fri Sep 26 12:13:00 UTC 2003

> On Thu, 25 Sep 2003, Tom wrote:
>

> > "Ralph Doncaster" <ralph@ g=C5=A4;=0E=86=803=A0=CAvgi
> > =B1> wrote in message news:Pine.LNX.4.51.0309242358350.30504-aSG3JAnhR7ZWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org=
> =2E..
> > > If you're smart, hard-working, posess interpersonal skills, and are goo=
> > > with Linux you'll have no trouble finding work.  If you hold an MCSE an=
> > > program in VB I'd say a career change is in order...
> >
> > Not true.  In software development there are no jobs in Linux at all.
>
> Really?  Did xandros and e-smith close down recently?  And since when
> did the Linux kernel API become incompatible with Solaris and HP/UX?
> 10 years ago things like getclock()/gettimeofday() were a bit quirky,
> but now a 1st-yr college student could easily write a C program
> portable across all three operating systems.

It also begs the question of how many people actually write software
"for Linux."

People working with GNOME aren't; GNOME works on other platforms as
well.  Ditto for KDE.  The same is true of most of the software that
happens to run on Linux.

People don't normally write software 'for Linux;' they write it 'for
Unix,' which, once you get GLIBC between you and the kernel, is pretty
satisfactory.
--
output = ("cbbrowne" "@" "ntlug.org")
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/languages.html