Ximian Evolution question

Keith Mastin kmastin-PzQIwG9Jn9VAFePFGvp55w at public.gmane.org
Wed Sep 24 16:33:23 UTC 2003

> On Tue, 23 Sep 2003, Keith Mastin wrote:
>

>> > The problem I see with IMAP is the number of files and directories,
>> and the difficulty with intrusion detection etc (system keeps
>> changing all the time).  No major ISP will likely run IMAP unless
>> they make a server that uses a database as a backend imho.
>>
>> Number of files and directories, I could see being an issue
>> eventually. Intrusion detection is not an issue though. What
>> vulnerabilities are you thinking of?
>
> F.ex. 10,000 tiny little files for 3000 emails belonging to only 5 or 6
> people, and a virus checker that runs on the server every X minutes.
> Every time the files move the virus checker sees a 'new' file to check.
> Ouch.

The bottleneck on the file count is inode availability. You can increase
the number of inodes for the $USERHOMEs at the filesystem level when
building the server.

You're pulling the wrong chain with virus checking. It's a beast that
doesn't need to be done on the server. Filter the mail attachments for
executables. Voila', no more viruses.

>> Generally, I try not to run tripwire on the mail files. :)
>
> No, but seeing the file count or directory count jump up or down by
> thousands at a time every day on a supposedly secure and low volume
> server is not my idea of fun.

mmm.. I think you're sweating the wrong stuff, security wise. Altered file
counts are expected and shouldn't be an issue (unless $USERHOMES are on
the / filesystem?) on a mail server.

<snip>

--
Keith Mastin
BeechTree Information Technology Services Inc.