Just an idea, may be a stupid one.

Keith Mastin kmastin-PzQIwG9Jn9VAFePFGvp55w at public.gmane.org
Wed Sep 24 16:03:56 UTC 2003

Hey Sergey,

> Hi everybody,
>
> Earlier today I have spent bunch of time looking for something to
> transfer most of services from NT server to Linux, and to be honest I
> think I am able to do it, except for one: Exchange server. I found that
> there is couple of products on the market, but none of them are easily
> available (read open source). So, I thought, that maybe there is a good
> reason to create one. Well, I expect several reactions, such as:
> 1) This is the most stupid thing I've heard in my life....
> 2) Do you want to invent a bike?
> 3) What don't you come up with something substantial and we will talk
> about it?
> 4) So what?

What functions of exchange do you want? Sorry, we can't yet duplicate the
'open to viruses and crackers' thing, but with some work, I'm sure it
could be accomplished. :)

The closest match so far (I think) is Ximian Evolution groupware desktop
sharing thingy. Or, you can keep your exhange server and access it
completely using the connector application.

You might want to take a look at squirrelmail. You can extend it's mail
features using shared addressbooks via LDAP and shared calendars, todo
lists and maybe even notes using plugins. You can deploy departmentally,
enterprise, LAN or publically. It's popular, pretty stable and has a great
support network.

If you're looking for something more exotic, search through sourceforge,
freshmeat and phpbuilder. There are some pretty advanced groupware
programs out there.

--
Keith Mastin
BeechTree Information Technology Services Inc.