Just an idea, may be a stupid one.

Tom tom-mQDsgmoLwK3SUeElwK9/Pw at public.gmane.org
Wed Sep 24 05:07:55 UTC 2003

"Sergey Semenyuk" <serge_ss@ë°Á)	·HîE
À{é×> wrote in message news:002a01c38243$6c9e9de0$0102a8c0-0qjzcdkK6gM at public.gmane.org
> Hi everybody,
>
> Earlier today I have spent bunch of time looking for something to
> transfer most of services from NT server to Linux, and to be honest I
> think I am able to do it, except for one: Exchange server. I found that
> there is couple of products on the market, but none of them are easily
> available (read open source). So, I thought, that maybe there is a good
> reason to create one. Well, I expect several reactions, such as:
> 1) This is the most stupid thing I've heard in my life....
> 2) Do you want to invent a bike?
> 3) What don't you come up with something substantial and we will talk
> about it?
> 4) So what?
>
> In fact, my point is to see if there is any support for thins kind of
> idea, and if there will be anybody that would be willing to contribute
> (their skills) into it. Personally, I don't have much of Linux/Unix
> programming experience, although I have some, and few people who know me
> in the list might remember that I've started number of those "who dares
> to deal with this" projects, and, if not certain circumstances that made
> me switch my mind to some other things, they would be finished, and I
> hope appreciated. Alas, most of them died on alpha/beta stage.
>
> I am willing to discuss my point further if I see some interest, and I
> would like to turn this subject to a pointless discussion.
>
> Thanks a bunch in advance.
>
> Sergey

1) Writing a groupware server like Exchange is a huge undertaking, even if you employ some existing code.  If it is possible, I would suggest you find an existing project and contribute a piece to that.

2) See http://www.opengroupware.org/ (but I've heard that it's not really ready).

3) There are some good commercial groupware servers such as CommuniGate Pro.  I know that this does not meet your requirements, but it does (in my opinion) lessen the need to develop something new.

Tom.