Ximian Evolution question

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 22 22:03:47 UTC 2003

Madison Kelly wrote:
> Can I ask, I am
> almost ashamed to ask how IMAP differs from POP but it is something I
> never considered but now you have piqued my interest!

With POP, the client software downloads the messages from the mail
server and usually deletes them from the server.  This means that if you
use more than one computer or mail client, your messages will not all
appear in any system.  With IMAP, the messages stay on the server,
though you can have local copies on the clients.  Because of this, you
can read your mail from any computer or client and it will have all your
messages.  I use IMAP on my main desktop system, and can access it from
any of my computers and mail clients, even on my notebook via VPN or
dial up.