Unable to log-in

Fraser Campbell fraser-Txk5XLRqZ6CsTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 22 22:00:31 UTC 2003

On Monday 22 September 2003 13:52, Alex Maynard wrote:

> Thanks very much. Can I reinstall the package while running another
> installation (e.g. from floppy or 2nd partition.)?  As it is now I can't
> do anything from the original system because I can 't log in as root (or
> as anyone else. Maybe this is like the chicken and the egg: could fix the
> system if I could log in and could log in if I fix the system?)

I would assume that you have a few different shells installed try using
something other than bash.

I would mount the drive in another system and then chroot into it something
like this:

    chroot /debian/root/filesystem /bin/ash

This will get you into the root filesystem.  From there you will need to mount
/var and /usr ... if you didn't make them separate partitions then you're
fine.  Then reinstall libncurses5:

  apt-get install --reinstall libncurses5

See if bash works now by running /bin/bash ... if not rinse and repeat with
whatever other problems you found.

If you installed debsums you'll be able to look for (some) other corrupted
files with "debsums -c" ... a lot of Debian packages don't come with
checksums unfortunately.

Halton Hills, Ontario, Canada                             Debian GNU/Linux