ADSL connection with Woody

Marc Lijour (Professeur d'Informatique) marc-bbkyySd1vPWsTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org
Sat Sep 20 21:11:34 UTC 2003

Le 20 Septembre 2003 15:00, gilles fourchet a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I am struggling with my ADSL connection for a couple a
> weeks now and I have reach the limit of my imagination.
>  So I would need your help.
>
> I had Rogers before and switched to an ADSL provider
> (EOL).  I red a bunch of docs and HOWTOs:  bottom line,
> as per what I red, it should be straightforward.  Based
> on that, I just installed the PPPoE package (Roaring
> Penguin) as well as the PPPoEconf one (I am using
> Debian Woody and PPPoEconf is the equivalent of
> ADSL-Setup for the other distros).  I plug the ADSL
> modem and start PPPoEconf: pppoe, Timeout Waiting for
> PADO packets.  Well.  I call my provider which confirms
> that everything is okay for them (I even brought the
> modem them to be tested.  Of course, it was fine).
> They open a ticket with Bell, which says that
> everything is okay from their network to my house.
> Perfect.  So the problem is in my house.  I ask Bell to
> come and, everything is okay in the house as well.

I just had the same problem. My ADSL connection was done most part of the week
and I couldn't figure out why. The sunday before, my ISP had a hardware
problem and I attributed all the guilt to them. The same, they opened a
ticket, they called Bell, I talked to them etc.
But, then I remember I BOUGHT A NEW PHONE! A nice phone btw, it's a general
electric you can carry at the belt and you talk thru the headset and
microphone. Very handy! (26977GE2)
And you know what? I unplugged the phone from the wall switch and everythings
gets back to normal. (no more PADO complaints, and no more timeout
Config-Requests!...)

I cannot understand the reason why the phone seems to disrupt the normal
working of the line.  I just have my ADSL back.

I would be happy to understand what happened here.