Is this the new Y2K scam?

waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Sat Sep 20 00:54:19 UTC 2003

On Thu, Sep 18, 2003 at 01:38:59AM -0400, Max Blanco wrote

> If I figure correctly, there are 256^4 IPv4 addresses.
> There are 4.3 billion publically routable addresses.
> (China is a subnet:  Add one billion.  Africa? add another billion.
> India? add one more.  Axis of EvilTM? add 100 million.)
>
> Below are listed 6/256 addresses, or 2.34%.
> Now, if we got another 18 on this list, then we'd be cooking.

  There are still a whole slew of unassigned blocks.  And some of the
assigned blocks have been forgotten about when their owners go broke.
So spammers jump in and hijack those "bogon" blocks.  I have a difficult
time believing the "scarcity stories".  And at work, there are sevral
hundred *DESKTOPS* with publicly routable IP addresses.  Why?  What's
wrong with RFC1918 addresses for desktop users?

> Where did you get it?

  Straight from the horse's mouth at...
http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv4-address-space

Email users are divided into two classes;
1) Those who have effective spam-blocking
2) Those who wish they did