Is this the new Y2K scam?

Max Blanco blanco-S8qYAnHmZTt34ZA5RureAJ4VBq8PJc8F at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 18 05:38:59 UTC 2003

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 14, 2003 at 09:53:04PM -0400, Chris MacDonald wrote
> > On Sun, Sep 14, 2003 at 07:46:45PM -0400, waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org wrote:
> > > Part of the problem is that there is a highly artificial
> > > shortage of IPV4 addresses, aided and abbetted by companies with a
> > > financial interest in the implementation of IPV6.  Thus static IP
> > > addresses cost money to obtain.
> >
> > Who exactly has a financial interest in ipv6? It's the other way in
> > fact, implementing ipv6 would be quite expensive.
>
>   Howsabout computer/networking hardware manufacturers who see the
> switchover as the pot of gold ?

Do kitchen appliances really *need* IP addresses?

If I figure correctly, there are 256^4 IPv4 addresses.
There are 4.3 billion publically routable addresses.
(China is a subnet:  Add one billion.  Africa? add another billion.
India? add one more.  Axis of EvilTM? add 100 million.)

Below are listed 6/256 addresses, or 2.34%.
Now, if we got another 18 on this list, then we'd be cooking.

Where did you get it?

Is this the next Y2K scam???