[Fwd: [u-u] SCO event :|]

Terrence Enger tenger-ew0EfhANLmVEfu+5ix1nRw at public.gmane.org
Fri Sep 19 16:54:09 UTC 2003

At 00:29 2003-09-19 -0400, you wrote:
>> Fair enough, I guess my biggest concern is that if it's handle
>> improperly that we would end up looking like childish anarchists
>
>Your sentiment is certainly understandable and no doubt the higher road,
>but sometimes, just sometimes, people need a good kick in the balls in
>order to smarten up. Talk is cheap.

Uh, Ladies and Gentlemen, may I have your attention for a
moment?

I think it may be helpful for us to distinguish different
target audiences.

There are some people whom we are unlikely to convert to our
position.  To deliver a message to them is quite likely to
make us feel better.  In general, the fact of one's
disapproval may or may not be new information to this kind
of audience.  The SCO community, in particular, has probably
already noticed that we are unhappy with their recent
actions.

There are some people who already agree with us.  Contrary
to the negative suggestions of the phrase "preaching to the
converted", this can be useful for motivation or as a
demonstration of sympathy.  This communication is easy
because the converted will see exaggeration as funny.

There are those who do not have a fixed opinion on the
subject.  We have the opportunity to bring some of these to
care enough about the subject that they will consider
arguments.  Vehemence in argument runs the risk of reminding
them how little the care about the outcome.  They are likely
to see exaggeration as simply inaccurate.  Subject to risks
like these, these people will be the ones to examine our
arguments most carefully.

As one of the converted, I wish I could give more positive
help with how to address the undecided.

Thank you, all, for your attention.

Terry.
Available for contract programming.