Unusual Quantities of Spam?

Fraser Campbell fraser-Txk5XLRqZ6CsTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org
Fri Sep 19 10:07:08 UTC 2003

On Friday 19 September 2003 03:53, Christopher Browne wrote:

> I have been getting just _inundated_ with the stupid "Security
> messages from Microsoft" spam messages.  A couple thousand since noon.

I received 47 messages overnight that either begin like this:

    this is the latest version of security update, the
    "September 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which fixes
    all known security vulnerabilities affecting
    MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express
    as well as three newly discovered vulnerabilities.

Or are faked bounce messages that say your attached message couldn't be
delivered, the attached messages is an exe file.

Just did a quick check online, there a shiny new worm called Gibe-F:

    http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/articles/gibef.html

There ought to be a law against Windows on the Internet.

Halton Hills, Ontario, Canada                             Debian GNU/Linux