high speed DSL connectivity

Max Blanco blanco-S8qYAnHmZTt34ZA5RureAJ4VBq8PJc8F at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 18 04:47:31 UTC 2003

On Sat, 13 Sep 2003, Ralph Doncaster wrote:

> > OK.  Let's see if I get this right: ISP is charging you $48/year to change
> > ONE line of .conf ONCE.  That boggles the mind.  That is the promised land
> > of infinite markup.  It is cheaper for the ISP to use static IP.
>
> Politely put, you're mistaken.
> There is a quantifiable recurring cost of >US$2000/yr for a /20 (see
> ARIN).

Does you lease your hardware?

> For our static IP customers my sysadmin has to
> allocate the next available IP based on the LNS the customer will
> terminate.  Then the customer RADIUS record needs to be setup with that
> IP.

I was looking at it from my point of view: the first-time customer. If
you take my point of view, it seems not much happens after you sign on...
on the order of 15 minutes' labour.

> When we got our portable /20 from ARIN there was a huge amount of work
> involved in contacting all the static IP customers and informing them the
> IP would change and when it would change.  For our dynamic IP customers it
> was just a one-line change in our LNS.

You seem to be looking at it from another point of view: migration.
I will accept your point of view.

cheers,
max.