high speed DSL connectivity

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sun Sep 14 03:09:24 UTC 2003

Max Blanco wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Sep 2003, Daniel Armstrong wrote:
>

>>I have used Istop for over a year now and have been
>>happy with the service. $30/month plus $4/month for a
>>static IP, and you can use your own DSL modem.
>>
>>http://www.istop.com/status.html
>>

> OK.  Let's see if I get this right: ISP is charging you $48/year to change
> ONE line of .conf ONCE.  That boggles the mind.  That is the promised land
> of infinite markup.  It is cheaper for the ISP to use static IP.

How is it cheaper, when they have to assign addresses etc?  The main
point of dhcp is to relieve them of that administration issue.

> The customer has to go through all sorts of contortions and confusions to
> deal with dynamic IP.  DHCP is, if I'm not mistaken, a relic of a bygone
> dialup age.

DHCP is an extension of BOOTP and has always been used on lans.  It is
not normally used on dial up lines.  While a dial up customer may see
different IPs, that's only because he connected to a different phone
line.  At the ISP, the IP addresses are assigned to the phone lines and
there's no reason for them to change and many reasons why a phone line
should always keep the same IP.