high speed DSL connectivity

cbbrowne-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org cbbrowne-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 15 02:22:20 UTC 2003

Chris MacDonald wrote:
> Who exactly has a financial interest in ipv6? It's the other way in
> fact, implementing ipv6 would be quite expensive. That's why we don't
> have ipv6 here. Maybe in North America we don't have a shortage of
> addresses at the moment, but the big problem is in Europe and
> Asia. Especially in Asia, where the number of people wanting internet
> access is growing very quickly.
>
> In fact, companies have a financial interest to stay with ipv4. They
> can charge you 5bux for an ip address and justify it.

Just so.

And there is a _considerable_ cost to jumping to IPv6, in that there is
a whole lot of hardware out there that doesn't know about it.

Routers, and legacy boxes running all sorts of OSes (possibly even
including Linux!)  that would be inconvenient and expensive to upgrade.

Making the change across the board would lead to all sorts of kicking
and screaming, all around the world.  I'm not sure that the Root Servers
know how to play with IPv6 addresses, and the move would be likely to
cause a whole lot of grief, whenever it happens.
--
If this was helpful, <http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=cbbrowne> rate me
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/x.html