high speed DSL connectivity

Chris MacDonald cgm-BjBj7/ohIX+w5LPnMra/2Q at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 15 02:15:22 UTC 2003

On Sun, Sep 14, 2003 at 10:00:48PM -0400, James Knott wrote:
> Part of the problem is with the way the addresses were distributed.
> Many companies grabbed large blocks early on.  For example, IBM has the
> entire 9.x.x.x range.  I don't think even IBM has 16M hosts on line.

The problem is we're still using an old protocol. We should move on to
something new, and much better. It's not just larger addresses that is
good, it offers many other features which are nice.

And ipv6 lets you have lots of addresses. So IBM has 16M addresses
assigned to them. I have an ipv6 block assigned to me that gives me 64
bits of address space. 2^64 is a lot bigger than 16 million.

A Toronto based dsl provider, dsl.ca, recently got an IPv6 prefix assigned
to them, and it was actually globally routable for a brief period.
Unfortunately they got taken over by another isp and any hope of them
offering ipv6 connectivity has vanished.

-cgm.