OT: Carrying a pager

Keith Mastin kmastin-PzQIwG9Jn9VAFePFGvp55w at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 11 16:47:27 UTC 2003

> Fellows,
>
> The management at my work place is interested to put me on pager
> support. I have not dealt at my previous jobs as such thing.
>
> Could you give me some sort of idea about carrying a pager
> and compensation package binding at your employer and what should
> I watch for?

A clear list of responsibilities (include implied responsibilities) is in
order, otherwise some employers might load you up with a kazillion extra
duties on a freebie ticket. Make sure yo include any apps that you install
on the systems, like swatch.

> I know that one time, a bank was binding me for one hour of pay
> to carry just a pager for the 24 hours. Calls would be additionally
> counted. Unfortunately, I was not hired :<

This is not unreasonable. Generally, oncall 24/7 should have a special
contract clause that defines everything. If an employer expects you to
just pick up and go fix something at 4am they should pay pretty well for
it.

> Also, how would you keep track of calls those are coming through the
> pager assuming that the pager is just numerical one.

You'll need to carry a pda with time and charges tracking software.

--
Keith Mastin
BeechTree Information Technology Services Inc.