OT: Carrying a pager

cbbrowne-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org cbbrowne-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org
Wed Sep 10 14:13:59 UTC 2003

> Could you give me some sort of idea about carrying a pager
> and compensation package binding at your employer and what should
> I watch for?

The arrangements vary.

I have carried a pager at three jobs (including current one).

In the two previous cases, I was purely salaried, and the pager thing
involved periodically "helping out in time of problem," and there was no
compensation involved.

In the present situation, I get a (nominal, but nice enough) sum for
carrying the pager, and get paid for at least a minimum of [several]
hours any time I get called.

The question is all of how stingy they are, or perhaps, more precisely,
whether or not the organization has budget for "operational
expenditures."

If you're supporting a server for a departmental project, there's likely
to be no money allocatable for "pager pay."  If the system is "really
operational," and they have to think about operational costs, then
budget may be able to be allocated.
--
output = reverse("moc.enworbbc" "@" "enworbbc")
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/finances.html