Port Forwarding vs. Running Servers on Firewall

Keith Mastin kmastin-PzQIwG9Jn9VAFePFGvp55w at public.gmane.org
Fri Sep 5 17:44:20 UTC 2003

> Hi,
>
> Security conscious system administrators seem to favour running as few
> services on the firewall as possible and prefer to put things like http,
>  smb, smtp, pop, etc. on boxes in a DMZ or behind the firewall. I guess
> the  theory is the more services that are run on the firewall, the
> greater the  points of vulnerability, but, if one must allow access to
> http, smtp, and  pop from the outside world, one still has to open those
> ports on the  firewall and forward them to the appropriate machines on
> the inside  network. Setting aside the DMZ issue for the time being,
> what, if any,  advantage is there to running these services on machines
> behind the  firewall? Is it just that if the firewall is compromised,
> the bad guy still  has to crack the machine on the inside or is there
> something I am missing?

If the bad guy can crack into one of the services that is running as root,
then he also has access to all the firewall information too. He can change
the scripts to allow access into any of the machines, not only the server.
If all traffic for a specific service is forwarded to another machine,
then it's the internal machine and not the firewall that he has access to.