Port Forwarding vs. Running Servers on Firewall

Fraser Campbell fraser-Txk5XLRqZ6CsTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 4 20:11:08 UTC 2003

On Thursday 04 September 2003 14:55, CLIFFORD ILKAY wrote:

> network. Setting aside the DMZ issue for the time being, what, if any,
> advantage is there to running these services on machines behind the
> firewall? Is it just that if the firewall is compromised, the bad guy still
> has to crack the machine on the inside or is there something I am missing?

If the firewall is compromised (let's assume root compromise) then the cracker
has full access to your entire internal network, to the Internet from your
firewall and to the dmz (if any).  He can cover his tracks and spend days,
weeks or months on the firewall gathering passwords, learning about your
network, etc.

If a webserver is comprosed, and you've been smart enough to install it in a
DMZ then the cracker has a much smaller and (probably) less interesting
network to probe.  If the DMZ is switched then he'll not learn very much
beyond the tasks that involve that webserver.  He might be able to launch
attacks against other machines in the DMZ but hopefully you've hardened those
sufficiently to make that difficult.  Very restrictive firewall rules should
be able to make the webserver an uninteresting place for a cracker as well. A
webserver machine for example could be configured so that it can only respond
to inbound http requests, the cracker couldn't initiate any outbound
connections (to the Internet) period.

Halton Hills, Ontario, Canada                       Debian GNU/Linux