wireless/broadband router recommendations?

Kareem Shehata kareem-d+8TeBu5bOew5LPnMra/2Q at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 4 20:30:32 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-09-04 at 14:44, CLIFFORD ILKAY wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am interested in one of the 802.11g access points. I have noticed that
> access points are often more expensive than routers and they never seem to
> go on sale. Can the routers be used as access points? In other words, is it
> possible to disable the routing, dhcp, and firewall capabilities of the
> routers, such as those from Linksys, D-Link, and SMC and use them strictly
> as access points?
>
> I use an old PC running Linux for firewalling, routing, and dchp and have
> no  desire to change that. The plan is to add a third NIC to the Linux box,
> run IPsec on it so that all wireless communications will be across IPsec
> tunnels.

I've pondered the price discrepancy for a while, and I have yet to
figure out why the box with less features costs more.  I'm starting to
suspect a marketing ploy.  I have yet to setup a real firewall for this
location, so the router has come in handy.  It can be configured to act
just as an access point, though as mentioned previously, you may want to
just get a wireless card in that case.

Kareem

--
      kareem-d+8TeBu5bOew5LPnMra/2Q at public.gmane.org   -   Kareem Shehata   -   416-676-6611