SCO.com and Caldera.com dead

Peter L. Peres plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Wed Sep 3 17:45:18 UTC 2003

I'm not sure about this uptime thing since I am a hardware guy and I know
several 'embedded' computers that have uptimes in the 5+ years. The
nearest ones are probably in your local telco exchange. These do have
total backup (battery + diesel) and they are never switched off. Really
never. Only direct lightning strikes and such will stop them (but not
completely as there is often failover etc). Do not mistake 'embedded' with
a small board full of parts that fits in your palm. These are rack-filling
machines that handle everything from switching and voice services to
billing and run fault-finding programs for technicians when the need
arises.

There are more examples like this in industry. I heard that PDP clones
still run some plants in more remote areas. Most of them are diskless
(apropos disk mtbf) and have backup systems that are designed to keep e.g.
refineries from blowing up or ore smelting furnaces from becoming giant
anthills. You can trust their backup systems to be good. No, they are not
web servers. Sorry about that.

Peter