Lycoris [Was: Windows refund: stymied]

Andrew Malcolmson andzy-bYF1QM81rroS+FvcfC7Uqw at public.gmane.org
Wed Sep 3 16:15:06 UTC 2003

On 1 Sep 2003 14:29:41 -0000, "Rick Tomaschuk" <rickl-ZACYGPecefkNbK0NzMECUg at public.gmane.org>
said:
> Wal-Mart's web site http://www.walmart.com is selling Desktop PCs
> (Microtel) with SuSE Linux preloaded. Also Lycoris and Lindows. They
> currently offer a Notebook PC with Windows but I'm sure this will
> change if they receive enough requests for Linux preloaded given their
> critical mass in the business community.
> RickT

I read somewhere that Lycoris is close to releaing a new version, the
first in over a year.

I've never tried it but looks like a RPM-based Lindows.  One slick
feature that I think would be impressive to newbies is a categorized list
of applications you can install from the 'Web Services' section of their
website.

http://www.lycoris.com/webservices/iris/

>From a newbie POV, this has got to have a big advantage of simplicity and
ease of use.  You can browse from a nice looking list of packages with
descriptions, and install whatever you want with a mouse click.  You
don't have to run any special programs - it's all browser-based.

Xandros's Mozilla based 'Xandros Networks' installer/ package manager is
similar to this (though really slow).

I'm always looking for ways to impress newbies (other than by booting
Knoppix) so I wonder if anyone agrees that this is a feature to look for
in a newbie-friendly distro.