SCO.com and Caldera.com dead

cbbrowne-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org cbbrowne-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org
Wed Sep 3 04:41:51 UTC 2003

Warren wrote:
> >I know I am young, but frankly I just don't see how a machine could
> >last 17 years without some serious work on the hardware. (To say
> >nothing of kernel patches... Oh I know, have a box, leave it in a
> >corner, plug it into a diesel generator and don't plug it into any
> >network, leave it alone forever.)
> >

> To say nothing of:
> (a) MTBPF (Mean Time between Power failures)
> (b) MTBBBF (Mean Time between Battery Backup Unit failures)
>
> How does one make a UPS Lead Acid battery that can last 17 years without
> changing it out? Did they have hot-swappable dual power supplies with
> separate UPS's on the IBM 80286 AT boxen they installed SCO Unix on 17
> years ago?

That part is not _too_ hard...

You have three power supplies, each attached to its own UPS.

Having disk drives and fans last would be the _real_ problem.  We just
got a Dell server in at work that shows the way on the fan side of it;
it has two pullout slides that each contain three fans.  If a fan
"blows" (well, _stops_ blowing...), you can slide the array of fans out
and replace the offending one.

Not that this helps with Xenix on a truly ancient 286...
--
If this was helpful, <http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=cbbrowne> rate me
http://cbbrowne.com/info/spiritual.html