Help With Home Server

Robert Brockway robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 1 03:35:31 UTC 2003

On Sun, 31 Aug 2003, Keith Mastin wrote:

> > I also asked istop to change from jay.tor.istop.com to
> > hostname.domain.ca
>
> Good. More and more mail servers are insisting on it.

Yes, this is a good point that I forgot to mention in my previous email.
If the box is going to act as a mail server then having the reverse lookup
match for the forward is virtually a must.  Thanks to the spammers most
MTAs (Mail Transport Agents) are now really careful on this point.  Many
MTAs will advise when the forward & reverse lookups do not match on mail
they receive (or if there is no reverse) and some may even silently drop
the mail (although this is dangerous as much mail will be lost this way).

For those wondering, configuring the dns in this way is not incompatible
with an MTA handling mail for many domains, the MX just needs to be set to
match the reverse lookup for the machine.  Machines listed as MXs for the
domain need not be in that domain afterall.

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc. email: robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org, zzbrock at uqconnect.net