Help With Home Server

Keith Mastin kmastin-PzQIwG9Jn9VAFePFGvp55w at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 1 01:39:00 UTC 2003

> okay, for my DNS registration I have the following options
>
> Primary DNS Host:
> Primary DNS IP:
> Secondary DNS Host:
> Secondary DNS IP:
> 3...
> 4..
>
> It tells me I need at least 2. Should I fill them both out with the same
> information both pointing to my machine/IP.  Thats what I did?

That will do in a pinch, but I don't suggest that you leave it like that
for any length of time.

Normally, for dns you want to keep the 2 servers as isolated from each
other as humanly possible... look for a secondary on a different backbone,
even in a different country if possible. I was using granitecanyon for
secondaries until I got a better solution, but they seemed to work out
okay.

> I also asked istop to change from jay.tor.istop.com to
> hostname.domain.ca

Good. More and more mail servers are insisting on it.

> Nowhere does it ask for ZOA or anything like that? I assume that is when
> I set up the DNS on my machine with BIND or whatever software?

I believe that was typo on Madison's part.... should be SOA for Start of
Authority

If this is your first time out working with dns, slow and easy is the
catch phrase. Read the docs, set it up, reread the docs, tweak it, and so
on and so forth. It's very easy thoeretically to muck up dns so that it
affects a lot more than just your own network. RFC1918 is a good resource.

Pay attention to views later on, so you can set up the server to limit
access based on source IP. What's on your private network is only your
business.

<snip>