IT Job creations... IT job losses?

JoeHill joehill-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Fri Oct 31 13:33:16 UTC 2003

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 08:20:14 -0500
Fraser Campbell <fraser-Txk5XLRqZ6CsTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org> uttered:

> What exactly is Lindows doing that is so awful?  I don't understand
> why everyone is bashing them, I believe there's something that I've
> missed.  From what I see of their product it looks excellent.
>
> The only awful thing that I am aware is that they had people running
> as root by default.  Running as root by default is insanity but I've
> heard rumours that may no longer be the case ... anyone know?
>
> Other than the root thing what have they done?

Well, the root thing first off. And I think you are correct, they've
made or are going to make changes to that.

My main complaint is the same one as I have with something like WineX or
Crossover, there are so many OSS projects that can do what closed source
proprietary software does, and Lindows is just encouraging people to use
Linux to run the same old crap, instead of really exploring OSS
alternatives.

Sorry if I'm a bit too Richard Stallman'ish for ya, but that's just the
way I am. I want to see the end of closed source proprietary software
(and hardware, for that matter) in my lifetime, and Lindows is *not* the
way to go to achieve that. If I were recommending someone switch to
Linux, I would push Mandrake or Debian, not Lindows.

Oh, and Lindows deals with WalMart, a company that has a *very* bad
track record when it comes to labour and union-busting, and we all know
how I stand on that subject ;-)

--
JoeHill
Registered Linux user #282046