Upgrading RH7.2 to RH9 questions

Kareem Shehata kareem-d+8TeBu5bOew5LPnMra/2Q at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 30 15:02:11 UTC 2003

Jim Ruxton said:
> I'm going to upgrade a dual boot XP , RH7.2 laptop to dual boot XP, RH9
>  . I have some questions that I was hoping someone could help me with.
> I think I'm just going to install RH9 rather than update RH7.2 so I can
>  start over. RH7.2 was my first Linux system and I've learned a lot. My
>  file systems are a bit messed up so I think I'd rather start from
> scratch . I want the new install to be as painless as possible so I
> figure there are some things I should save like the files beneath  ~/
> .
>  Are there other files I should save to make my life easy when I
> upgrade ?  I figure my old XF86Config-4 would be a good thing to have
> handy. Yes I have backups but I want the files I really need to be
> easily accessible.
> I  also want to save all my email and bookmarks. I'm currently using
> Mozilla 1.0 . Is there an easy way to do this?

I've found burning the ~/ folder to CD is the best way to go.  It makes
thing really easy to access, it's quick, and it should catch all of your
user data.  Better yet, burn everything under /home/ , if it'll fit.
> When I start the install will the RH9 CD's recognize that I have a dual
>  boot system and leave my XP partition alone.?

While I haven't installed RH9, Mandrake did a good job of setting up Lilo
to dual boot.
> Will the install automatically delete my old system (Rh7.2 files) or do
>  I have to do that manually?

What partitions do you have?  I'd suggest formatting - after you've backed
everything up of course.  It makes sure the FS is completely clean.
> I'm a bit nervous to start all over from scratch. It was a bitch
> getting  everything working in the first place but then I knew nothing
> about  Linux at that point. Thanks for any hints on the best way to
> proceed. Jim

You are absolutely correct.  I've rarely re-installed an OS and had it be
a short process.  The good news is that in the end you'll have a better
(and hopefully more productive) setup.  Just be prepared to have that
machine down for a while and invest a fair amount of time.
Good luck!

Kareem

--
      kareem-d+8TeBu5bOew5LPnMra/2Q at public.gmane.org   -   Kareem Shehata   -   416-676-6611