Upgrading RH7.2 to RH9 questions

Jim Ruxton cinetron-uEvt2TsIf2EsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 30 00:16:07 UTC 2003

I'm going to upgrade a dual boot XP , RH7.2 laptop to dual boot XP, RH9
. I have some questions that I was hoping someone could help me with.
I think I'm just going to install RH9 rather than update RH7.2 so I can
start over. RH7.2 was my first Linux system and I've learned a lot. My
file systems are a bit messed up so I think I'd rather start from
scratch . I want the new install to be as painless as possible so I
figure there are some things I should save like the files beneath  ~/  .
  Are there other files I should save to make my life easy when I
upgrade ?  I figure my old XF86Config-4 would be a good thing to have
handy. Yes I have backups but I want the files I really need to be
easily accessible.
 I  also want to save all my email and bookmarks. I'm currently using
Mozilla 1.0 . Is there an easy way to do this?
When I start the install will the RH9 CD's recognize that I have a dual
boot system and leave my XP partition alone.?
Will the install automatically delete my old system (Rh7.2 files) or do
I have to do that manually?
I'm a bit nervous to start all over from scratch. It was a bitch getting
everything working in the first place but then I knew nothing about
Linux at that point. Thanks for any hints on the best way to proceed.
Jim