graphics app CD covers novice

JoeHill joehill-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 30 15:08:28 UTC 2003

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 21:27:53 -0500
Chris Aitken <aitken-BwLjziHGQLusTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org> uttered:

> I need a graphics application for someone who has never used one
> before. I will be creating CD covers with artwork and photographs.
>
> Please don't steer me to your favourite application that you are
> hoping will spread like wildfire. I love using linux and want to keep
> on loving it.  ; )
>
> If it comes out-of-the-box with redhat 7.3/8.0 so much the better.
> Even something in S.u.S.E. 8.0 would be OK as it's about time I made
> the switch anyway as I would like to move to Europe and it might be
> better to know that distribution.

Well, if you are at all familiar with Photoshop or it's like, just try
Gimp. It's fairly intuitive (it must be, I have no artistic ability at
all and I've managed to not go stark-raving-mad using it...). Simple
actions like colour manipulation, scaling, layers, are all menu-driven,
just right-click on the image you are editing. Other cool effects like
the ubiquitous drop-shadows, etc. are included under "script-fu", IIRC.

--
JoeHill
Registered Linux user #282046