domains on linux

Keith Mastin kmastin-PzQIwG9Jn9VAFePFGvp55w at public.gmane.org
Fri Oct 24 18:40:34 UTC 2003

> hello,
> i have a router that distributes my internet connection from rogers
> cable, i am connected to the router on a dhcp protocol, and i wan to
> setup a web server for my website. my problem is i know very little a
> bout networking, i am using internal ip's(192.168.....) for my network,
> and the address which is comminf from rogers is a 24.64....... how do i
> setup the domain for the webserver and have my other hosts (cuttently
> connected to the router ) connect to that domain

Internal (rfc1918) Ips are non-routable, so you will need to port forward
your public services to the server through the router.

You're also going to need to set up a dns server so the world can find
your domain. From the sounds of it, you're fairly new, so I would suggest
bind9 as a reasonable dsn server for now.

DNS basically runs the Internet, it maps the domains to the IPs, and
without it you can provide very limited access to your servers (basically
by IP only).

Once bind9 is set up, you will need to register your domain and map it to
your dns server. Talk to your domain registrar about how to go about this,
many of them have a web-enabled interface to use for this.

Read the networking3-howto (google for it) for a 10,000 ft overview on how
networking is done, and after that you'll be ready for more questions. Pay
attention to NAT and port forwarding. The knowledge you pick up in that
doc will help you understand a bit more about what you're doing when it
comes time to configure the router or firewall to allow restricted access
to the webserver and to deny access where you don't want it.

After bind9 and the port forwarding are taken care of, it's a relatively
simple matter to install and configure apache as a web server.

It's a bit intimidating at first if you're not familiar with networking
etc., but it's not rocket science. Just stick with it and bring any
further questions back to the list, and you'll get there.

Good luck with it.

--
Keith Mastin
BeechTree Information Technology Services Inc.