ftp connection refused

aitken-BwLjziHGQLusTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org aitken-BwLjziHGQLusTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 22 19:41:16 UTC 2003

I am getting the following error trying to ftp into a machine:

bash-2.05a$ ftp 192.168.0.1
ftp: connect: Connection refused
ftp>

and, similarly ...

[chris at hons800 chris]$ ftp 192.168.0.2
ftp: connect: Connection refused
ftp>

It appears that the ftp client is working - just not connecting.

I can PING both boxes from each other.

Both boxes run rh 7.3.

I am working through the 30-screen man page for ftp but it just has
commands
and options - no troubleshooting.

I know there are lots of other file transfer utilities, all of them
probably more
secure than ftp. However, I want to use ftp for a while and then learn
another.

I ran /usr/sbin/ntsysv at each computer and the available services are
vsftpd,
wu-ftp, and tftp - all of them are *not* checked for automatic startup.
But,
again, I don't think the client or the daemon are the culprits here -
just the
connection.

Any help would be appreciated. I'll keep reading the man page in the
meantime -
I'll need all that information anyway.

Thanks,

Chris