Mandrake 9.2 and LG CD Drives

Austin aacton-B71PBEe7S7Y at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 23 14:47:14 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-10-23 at 09:28, JoeHill wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 13:15:45 -0400
> Ilya Palagin <IlyaPalagin-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> uttered:
>
> > LG and Samsung has always been the worst CD drives, so Mandrake just
> > does ? natural selection, helping Linux community to cut feebles off
> > :-)

So far we have a large list of LG drive models that have been damaged,
and a small list of LG models that work fine.  Mandrake wants to release
an official advisory about it, but they are trying to finalize the list
first, and figure out if there is a way to reverse the problem.  Someone
suggested reloading the firmware may work.

> Lot of complaints on the Mandrake lists about this release, missing
> packages, broken init.d, missing kernel source, some other stuff. I
> wonder if they were in too much of a hurry to get this "out the door".

Yeah, there's about 200 MB of security and bug fixes already.  Mandrake
has a problem with a) fixed release deadlines and b) not enough good
beta testers c) not enough people/time to fix the bug reports they do
get.  The perfect solution would be if 9.2 sells big (club and boxed
sets), and Mandrake goes back into the black.   A bit of money can
really improve a distro.

> Just so no one gets me wrong, I am very thankful for my rock-solid 9.1
> install, does everything I want it to, no complaints at all. I'm sure
> this will all come out alright in the end.

We'll see how it goes... I guess it depends on how many people are
willing to download 200 MB+ of updates.  The reviews have been really
positive so far, so I think the usability base is there, it's a question
of out-of-the-box stability.

Austin

---
                                 Austin Acton
        Synthetic Organic Chemist, Teaching Assistant, Ph.D. Candidate
               Department of Chemistry, York University, Toronto
        MandrakeLinux Volunteer Developer, homepage: www.groundstate.ca