domains on linux

JoeHill joehill-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 23 14:34:15 UTC 2003

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 14:22:42 +0000
"Fiifi Markin" <markino_05-PkbjNfxxIARBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org> uttered:

> hello,
> i have a router that distributes my internet connection from  rogers
> cable, i am connected to the router on a dhcp protocol, and i wan to
> setup a web server for my website. my problem is i know very little a
> bout networking, i am using internal ip's(192.168.....) for my
> network, and the address which is comminf from rogers is a
> 24.64....... how do i setup the domain for the webserver and have my
> other hosts (cuttently connected to the router ) connect to that
> domain

Kind of a lot of quesions in there... ;-)

First of all, do you have Apache installed and running? What Linux
distro are you using?

If Apache is already up and running, it should already be serving up the
default page (usually in /var/www/html). You can check this by opening a
browser on that machine (the webserver) and enter http://localhost in
the address field.

For the page to be accessible to the internet, you need to configure the
router so that it forwards port 80 to the webserver. The router's
documentation should have info on how to do that, depending on what
router you are using.

For setting up and internal domain/workgroup, nothing beats Samba, but
again, I don't know what distro you are using or if that's been
installed already. It's very easy to set up, though, and can be
configured easily through an interface called Webmin.

Please write back with more info on your OS, what packages are
installed, etc. and I bet I can at least get you started.

--
JoeHill
Registered Linux user #282046