Sympatico smtp

Fraser Campbell fraser-Txk5XLRqZ6CsTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org
Sat Oct 18 14:15:02 UTC 2003

On Saturday 18 October 2003 09:54, Ralph Doncaster wrote:

> On Sat, 18 Oct 2003, Fraser Campbell wrote:
> > > This in addition to their port 25 filtering, is one reason I try and
> > > stay away from Sympatico, it at all posssible.
> >
> > Personally I think it's irresponsible for a residential ISP to not block
> > smtp.
>
> Personally I think it's irrational for someone to make generalizations
> like this.  IStop.com doesn't block any ports, and the majority of our
> customers are residential.  With >2000 customers we encounter an issue of
> customer spamming less than once a week.

Yeah I went a little overboard there, I've been trying to get my virus load
down since yesterday and it's really starting to drive me nuts.  Still I don't
think the average user has the need to send email directly through smtp
servers other than those of their ISP.

I would say that granting exceptions to customers who need it is a good
idea (though perhaps not easy to implement).  For example I do a lot of
network testing and monitoring, having to ssh into the office to test smtp
is annoying.

Halton Hills, Ontario, Canada                             Debian GNU/Linux