pure microshit

Peter L. Peres plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 16 22:45:09 UTC 2003

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003, James Knott wrote:

> He also single handedly destroyed a lot of the industry, so that there's
> very little competition in many areas.  I assume by "marketing", you're
> including extortion.

I dunno if you read my link to the register article wrt. Israel dropping
M$ licensing etc due to antitrust stuff. I was just recently in a computer
shop notorious for its M$-ism. They had W2k pro for $150 and XP home for
$280 side by side, both boxed, on the same shelf. What more need I say ?
Oh, and no Linux. A few years ago they had (outdated) Suse and Red Hat
boxes and Slackware books (with cd, also outdated). Now, nada.

Can you plot a line for where this is going ? Boxed W98 was about $100 the
last time I saw it (long time ago). Shorthorn may well be $500 a box. That
will buy you a low grade computer, complete. See where this is going ? You
will be getting the hardware free, complete with DRM on it and W$ burned
into rom. To stay on topic, what (fpga) will Linux be running on by then ?

Peter