repairing damage iso file (fwd)

Justin Zygmont jzygmont-tEQKYFGiemxAYG7eUwYNkWD2FQJk+8+b at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 13 16:01:33 UTC 2003

something useful I didn't know was possible.  (forwarded from the redhat
list)

> hi am downloading rh9 from one of the mirrors of redhat now as i md5sum
> the disk1 i have a 'mismatched one' is there a way to fix not
> re-download the file...
> someone mentioned using rsync but don't know how to use it....

citation of amassage from Hoyt Duff

This example of rsync should allow you to "fix" a munged ISO image, for
example when you have spent considerable time downloading a copy of an
ISO and it fails the md5sum test.

rsync -auv <fully qualified domain name of rsync server>::<full path
name to iso image with no leading / after the ::> <local iso image -
same name as on the server>

I have successfully used (all on one line):

rsync -auv
csociety-ftp.ecn.purdue.edu::pub/redhat/linux/beta/phoebe/en/iso/i386/phoebe-i386-disc1.iso phoebe-i386-disc1.iso

You should replace phoebe by shrike or whatever you are trying to
download.

Regards
Peter