Mulithoming..

Keith Mastin kmastin-PzQIwG9Jn9VAFePFGvp55w at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 13 22:14:35 UTC 2003

> Hi,
>
> I have box with 1 NIC using a Global IP.  I was wondering is it possible
> to using multihoming wherein that same NIC will be assigned an internal
> IP?

As a proof of concept, yes it can be done. Should it be done? Not in
either a production environment or in a situation where any of the
machines is going to have Internet access, including the firewall.

> if yes? what are the things to be considered? do the application need to
> be multihomed capable? are there any security implications on this?

Security should be your biggest issue (although I'll venture a guess that
the top of your priority list is sharing a 'net connection). If you are
running applications on your firewall... not a good idea, all the more so
if the said box is uni-homed.

--
Keith