Microsoft Must be held accountable.

Keith Mastin kmastin-PzQIwG9Jn9VAFePFGvp55w at public.gmane.org
Fri Oct 10 16:38:36 UTC 2003

<quote who="JoeHill">
> On Thu, 9 Oct 2003 18:38:32 -0400 (EDT)
> "Keith Mastin" <kmastin-PzQIwG9Jn9VAFePFGvp55w at public.gmane.org> uttered:
>
>> Good article. It shows how they're using dns to scoot around being
>> traced. It would be interesting to see the snort-snarf output on those
>> different packets.
>>
>> Not sure if I agree with your fix for it though. As I see it, this is
>> just an example of how we have to be just as inventive in our own
>> policies as the bad guys are in trying to be invisible.
>
> But shouldn't MS be held responsible for the ridiculous ease with which
> these people can compromise Windows software?

Why? Read the EULA. You are not forced to purchase, or to use the
software. There is no guarantee that it will work. M$ had played a
significant role in getting the world to use computers. It's just time to
upgrade :)

> And the only way to get their attention is to make Windows more
> difficult to use on the 'net, ie. find a way to identify the machines
> and shut them out.

No. People have a tendency to work on a pain/pleasure routine. Pain is
most effective in the wallet. When the pain reaches a certain point, they
look for relief. We're here.

> I already block all mail from Outlook unless it is from a known person
> or list, and there are ways to make websites inaccessible to IE (there
> must be, if there are ways to do the reverse), which I am going to look
> into.

You are moving up your leg from shooting yourself in the foot. Don't aim
too high. :)

--
Keith