Anti spam solutions

JoeHill joehill-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 9 05:26:13 UTC 2003

On Wed, 8 Oct 2003 17:06:27 -0400
Fraser Campbell <fraser-Txk5XLRqZ6CsTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org> uttered:

> Many ISPs are taking measures to stem the flow.  Symaptico for
> examples forces all users to relay mail through a Sympatico server.
> This makes tracking spammers significantly easier for Sympatico.
> Whether they actually act on such information, or monitor it, I cannot
> be sure, anyone?

They run all e-mail through something called "Brightmail", which seems
to identify spam pretty effectively, but it's put into a spam folder so
you still have to go through it to check for false positives anyway, so
what's the point. I would never want to trust my ISP to do my
spam-blocking anyway.

The major flaw with Stupatico right now is that the only way to
effectively use their service is to access your e-mail through IE, all
other browsers are locked out (ya, I know about spoofing, I should not
have to use a browser in the 1st place...).

I opted out and simply do my own spam filtering.
--
JoeHill
Registered Linux user #282046