Debian-newbie questions

Howard Gibson hgibson-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 7 03:02:15 UTC 2003

On Sun, 5 Oct 2003 13:22:35 -0400
Merv Curley <mervc-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> On October 4, 2003 02:36 pm, waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org wrote:
>
> >   b) I've installed FVWM.  I can't find switchdesk, which does the
> > config setup to switch from GNOME to KDE or FVWM or whatever.  How do I
> > do this in Debian.
> >
> From the kdm or gdm login managers.  Should have been that way in Red Hat

   I am running Red Hat 8 on a Pentium II/350, with GDM and FVWM.  Also, I have installed this on my Toshiba laptop with a Pentium 233.  GDM will launch FVWM, or TWM or any other window manager you might want.  Look into /etc/X11/gdm/Sessions.  This is what configures the sessions menu in GDM.  You should be able to figure it out.  You will have to add an FVWM launch line to /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession.  Again, you should be able to figure this out.

   All of this should go fo XFCE, OLWM or any other unofficial window manager you might want to add to Red Hat.

> Have fun
>
> Merv

Howard Gibson
hgibson-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org