php mail() function not working

Peter L. Peres plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 6 10:57:39 UTC 2003

On Sun, 5 Oct 2003, Keith Mastin wrote:

> I'm getting ready to compile php and apache in usr/local/ to see if I can
> come up with a solution. The php manual says that for the mail function to
> work it has to be compiled in. php -i shows the sendmail wrapper
> sendmail.postfix, so it should work, but I've grown used to expecting
> snafu's with security fixes breaking something. So if apache is ran as
> apache.shadow-readers, sendmail is root.root and postfix is run as
> postfix.postdrop, who do I compile php as? Arrgh!

What I do when I get lost is cause a php script to create a file in /tmp.
This will have the permissions and umask of the cgi executor in that
context. This is usually enough to continue with the problem. F.ex. you
can su to that user and try to exec sendmail. Also see the
install permissions of the relevant libs (libphp, pibZend).

Peter