php mail() function not working

Keith Mastin kmastin-PzQIwG9Jn9VAFePFGvp55w at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 7 00:22:10 UTC 2003

> What I do when I get lost is cause a php script to create a file in
> /tmp. This will have the permissions and umask of the cgi executor in
> that context. This is usually enough to continue with the problem. F.ex.
> you can su to that user and try to exec sendmail. Also see the
> install permissions of the relevant libs (libphp, pibZend).

Okay, install permissions is a concept I'm having a problem grasping. Php
needs to be installed with sendmail permissions. What does this mean? That
I su - postfix while running make? Or that I do the whole configure, make
and make install routines as root?

My friend came over earlier and we traced the problem out of php to
postfix/apache permissions, using a similar method watching the logs and
top. The /tmp file thing sounds interesting though.

--
Keith Mastin
BeechTree Information Technology Services Inc.